Gather Heal Learn Protect Work

Scottsbluff High School – Condition Assessment, Feasibility Study, Concept Plans

Studio 120 Architecture completed a full condition assessment review of all the buildings in the Scottsbluff Public Schools District in 2013-14. As part of this review, we assessed each building for existing architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, and civil conditions as well as building code compliance, life safety compliance, fire code compliance, ADA accessibility compliance, and energy efficiency.  The assessment showed significant deficiencies at Scottsbluff High School.

We subsequently worked with the District to complete a feasibility study to evaluate all of the options available to upgrade or replace the High School.  Among the options were renovations, additions, building new on site, and building new at a new site.  Our analysis of the various options and costs led to the District’s decision to pursue a $29.2 million bond to finance most of the costs for a nearly complete replacement of the High School at the existing location.

Our team worked closely with the staff to identify programming needs, to develop a concept plan, and cost estimates for a combination of a new build and renovation that would see 80% of the school be completely replaced and rebuilt, while preserving and renovating the remaining 20% of the building.  The plan provided the district and taxpayers with substantial cost savings compared to the construction of an entirely new school, and at a significantly lower cost per student than other high school projects throughout the state.